These apple blueberry muffins are moist and delicious and a great way to add some extra fruit to lunchboxes!
I'm forever experimenting with muffin recipes to make my kids' lunchboxes more varied and interesting.
My son loves these banana choc chip muffins, but I wanted to create a recipe using two of his other favorite fruits: apples and blueberries.
The result is this moist apple and blueberry muffins recipe - and he now loves these too!
You can use any apples you like for these blueberry apple muffins. I usually use either Royal Gala or Pink Lady or some other variety of red apple.
I haven't tried making them with any kind of green apple yet - but if you do, let me know how they turn out!
You may also like this recipe: ABC Muffins (Apple, Banana, Carrot).
I like to coarsely grate the apple for this recipe, but you could also finely chop if that's easier. You could also whizz it up in your food processor or Thermomix (speed 5, 3 seconds).
You can use an electric hand whisk or stand mixer to make these muffins. Just be sure to fold in the blueberries by hand at the end, otherwise they could all break up and go mushy.
These blueberry and apple muffins freeze really well. I freeze them in freezer bags, then pull one out in the morning to put in the lunch box and it is defrosted and ready to eat by lunchtime.
Pin it for Later!
- Pre-heat oven to 180C / 370F.
- Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, ensure each one is fully incorporated before continuing.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Stir in grated apple.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Fold in the flour mixture and milk, alternating 1/3 flour, 1/2 milk, 1/3 flour, 1/2 milk, 1/3 flour.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Use an ice cream scoop to divide mixture into muffin tray lined with cases.
- Bake in oven for around 20 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes away clean.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 209mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 3g