This Thermomix Cheese Sauce is creamy and delicious and perfect for pasta and vegetables. And best of all you can make it easily and hands-free.
I make this cheese sauce probably once a week. It is one of my most used Thermomix recipes.
It is also one of the first recipes I ever converted to the Thermomix when I first got my dream machine. To say it changed my life is perhaps a little dramatic, but really - being able to whip up a cheese sauce so easily with no stirring, no lumps and my hands free to do other things is really amaaazing!
This sauce is delicious mixed through pasta (see my Thermomix Mac n Cheese recipe here) or vegetables (Cauliflower Cheese is a favourite in our house) and will also make your lasagne or pasta bake next-level delicious.
Mama Loves to Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a booking or purchase using one of these links, we may receive a small commission – at absolutely no extra cost to you.
Why you will love this recipe
- It uses just four standard ingredients - cheese, flour, butter and milk
- The Thermomix makes it super simple - no stirring, no lumpy sauces
- It is very versatile - can be used for pasta, vegetables, pasta bakes etc
Full ingredients with recipe instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
This simple recipe uses just four ingredients, and you will probably have them all in your fridge and pantry already.
- Cheese - I usually use cheddar for making a cheese sauce for the kids. If you want a stronger flavoured sauce, you can use a stronger cheddar and/or add some parmesan. You can also experiment with a Swiss cheese or gruyere for extra flavour, or even try it with some blue cheese.
- Milk - full fat or whole milk is best, but if you only have low fat milk in your fridge, you can use that too. The sauce will just be a little less creamy.
How to Make Cheese Sauce
Making cheese sauce in the Thermomix is super simple and will change how you feel about making a homemade cheese sauce from scratch.
Step 1: Grate the Cheese and set aside.
Step 2: Melt the butter for 2 minutes.
Step 3: Add flour and milk and cook for 13 minutes.
Step 4: Add the grated cheese and cook for 2 minutes.
That's it! Beautiful creamy, silky smooth cheese sauce with minimal effort.
FAQs and Top Tips
The cheese you choose will depend on who you are cooking for and what you are using the cheese sauce for. Chose a mild cheddar if you are cooking for kids, use a stronger cheddar or add some parmesan for a stronger kick. Experiment with Swiss cheese or blue cheese for different flavours.
Cheese sauce is best eaten right away. However, if you need to store it, keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Yes you can. Store it in an airtight container or Ziploc bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Love this recipe? You may also like these recipes:
- Thermomix Bechamel Sauce
- Thermomix Mac n Cheese
- Thermomix Hollandaise Sauce
- Thermomix Pesto
- Thermomix Custard
- Thermomix Lemon Curd
Thermomix Cheese Sauce
- 150 g Cheddar cheese See notes
- 50 g butter
- 50 g plain flour
- 500 g milk
- Cut the cheese into cubes and add to the Thermomix bowl. Grate for 5 seconds / speed 8. Set aside.
- Add the butter to the bowl. Melt for 2 minutes / 60 degrees / speed 2.
- Add the flour to the bowl. Cook for 1 minute / 100 degrees / speed 1 with the simmering basket on the lid in place of the MC.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and ensure all flour is on the butter and not on the blades. Repeat for 2 minutes / 100 degrees / speed 1.
- Add the milk to the bowl. Cook for 10 minutes / 100 degrees / speed 3 with the simmering basket on the lid in place of the MC.
- Add the grated cheese. Cook for a further 2 minutes / 100 degrees / speed 1.5.