This date and oat slice recipe gives you a sticky, sweet and scrumptious oat slice that is perfect for an afternoon snack or putting in school lunch boxes.
I think a rolled oat slice always makes a great afternoon snack. It's filling enough to get you through to dinner time and this chewy date slice is sticky and sweet, so perfect for fulfilling those afternoon sweet-tooth cravings.
I have my friend Claire to thank for this recipe. She didn't give me the recipe - rather she gave me a date and coconut slice she had bought at a cafe and asked me if I could recreate it!
Well I love a challenge, and it took me a few goes... but I think I have finally got it right. Enjoy!
Ingredients for oat and date slice
This oat and date slice recipe uses the following ingredients:
- Rolled oats
- All purpose flour / plain flour
- Brown sugar (see below)
- Shredded coconut
- Pitted dates
If you are looking for a really healthy oat slice recipe, you may be put off by the amount of sugar in this recipe (½ cup). I have tried reducing it but it made the oat slice a bit too dry and crumbly for my liking.
You could try substituting it with maple syrup if you prefer to have no refined sugar.
How to make a date oat slice
This is really such a simple recipe - it takes just minutes to mix all the ingredients together.
First mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
Next melt together the butter, honey and dates until the dates are soft.
Next mix this mixture into the dry ingredients and put into the tin to bake.
I use a loaf tin for this as it fits the ingredients perfectly. You could also double the recipe and use a larger tin.
Line the loaf tin with baking paper to make sure it doesn't stick. This also makes it easy to lift it out for cutting.
Bake for 18-20 minutes then allow it to cool in the tin before cutting the sticky date slice into squares.
Like this recipe? You may also like these:
Did you try this recipe? Please leave me a ⭐ review below!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @mamalovestocookblog and follow along on Pinterest and Facebook! Enjoy!!!
Pin it for Later!
Mama Loves to Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Date and Oat Slice
- Measuring Spoons and Measuring Cups
- 9 x 5-Inch Nonstick Loaf Pan
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup all purpose flour (plain flour)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 1 cup dates approx. 8 large pitted dates
- ½ cup butter (125g)
- 2 tablespoon honey
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C / 350F. Line a bread loaf tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, sugar, coconut and baking soda. Set aside.
- Roughly chop the dates and add to a saucepan with the butter and honey. Cook over a low heat until the butter is melted and the dates are soft.
- Pour the butter/honey/date mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix well.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared bread tin and press down gently.
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool in the tin and then remove and cut into squares.