This Thermomix Hummus recipe is quick and easy to make and results in a rich creamy hummus full of flavor.
Having an easy hummus recipe up your sleeve that uses store cupboard ingredients is perfect for when you have unexpected guests or need a last minute snack.
I have played around with this hummus Thermomix recipe and have it just the way I like it. I hope you give it a go!
But the beauty of making your own hummus at home is that you can play around with the quantities of the various ingredients to get the flavor that you love.
Like your hummus garlicky? Add another clove! Think it needs to be more zesty? Add in another squeeze of lemon.
This homemade hummus recipe uses the classic hummus ingredients of chick peas, tahini, olive oil, garlic, cumin, salt and lemon juice.
Fun fact: Did you know? "Hummus" means "Chickpeas" in Arabic?!
I use canned chick peas for my hummus. Some hummus purists will claim that you have to use dried chick peas and soak them then cook them to make the best hummus.
However, the whole purpose of this chickpea hummus is that it is quick and easy to make. And opening up a can of chickpeas is a whole lot quicker and easier than soaking them overnight and cooking them for an hour first!
And honestly, I think canned chickpeas are just fine here.
Apart from that, I would recommend using good quality tahini, fresh garlic and freshly squeezed lemon juice for the best flavors.
How to Make Hummus in the Thermomix
As with most recipes, the Thermomix makes hummus making super simple.
Start with chopping up the garlic super fine, and then whizzing together the tahini and lemon juice.
You may also like this recipe: Thermomix Guacamole.
Next add in the olive oil, cumin and salt, before adding in the chickpeas and mixing together.
Once it is all mixed, slowly add in cold water through the lid as the Thermomix continues to mix. This cold water helps make your hummus nice and creamy. But be careful not to add too much - nobody likes watery hummus.
At the end I like to give it a final 2-3 minutes of blending to achieve a nice smooth consistency. If you prefer a more rustic and coarse hummus then you can reduce this blending time to suit you.
How to Eat Hummus
I like to serve my hummus in a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of paprika and fresh parsley leaves.
It is wonderful served as a dip with crudites (carrots, cucumber, red pepper work well) or with toasted pita bread chips.
Hummus is also fabulous in a sandwich or wrap with roasted vegetables and/or chicken. Or slather it on a pita bread and fill with falafel, lamb kofta or chicken shawarma and a garlicky yoghurt sauce. Yum!
How to Store Hummus
Hummus needs to be stored in the fridge in an air tight container. It will keep for 3-5 days.
Can you Freeze Hummus?
Firstly, I would think there is very little chance of having any hummus leftover to freeze, because once you start eating hummus you just can't stop!
Also - hummus is definitely at its best when eaten fresh.
However, if you do have leftovers or decide to batch-make some for later then - yes, freezing hummus is absolutely possible!
Transfer it to an airtight container, leaving some room at the top for it to expand. Hummus will store in the freezer for around 6 months. You can defrost it overnight in the fridge.
Health Benefits of Hummus
Apart from being super delicious, hummus is actually really good for you too! Here are some of the reasons why hummus is good for you:
- It is full of plant-based proteins, making it a great option for vegetarians and vegans
- It has anti-inflammatory benefits (olive oil, sesame and chickpeas are all renowned for their anti-inflammatory properties)
- It is high in fiber, making it good for gut health
- It has a low glycemic index
- It is gluten, nut and dairy free so great for people with allergies (but not people with a sesame allergy!)
Pin it for Later!
Mama Loves to Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
TRY THESE OTHER SIMPLE THERMOMIX BASICS:
Did you try this recipe? Please leave me a ⭐ review below!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @mamalovestocookblog and follow along on Pinterest and Facebook! Enjoy!!!
- 1 clove garlic
- 60 g tahini
- 50 g lemon juice
- 30 g extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 400g / 15oz can chickpeas drained
- 2 tablespoon cold water
- Place garlic clove in the Thermomix bowl. Chop 5 seconds / speed 8.
- Scrape down the bowl and repeat.
- Add tahini and lemon juice and mix for 30 seconds / speed 4.
- Add olive oil, cumin and salt. Mix for 30 seconds / speed 4.
- Add chickpeas. Mix for 1 minute / speed 4.
- Run the Thermomix for 30 seconds / speed 4 and slowly pour in water through the lid. You can either do this with the MC removed and pour through the hole, or you can pour onto the lid with the MC still in place and it will slowly seep through.
- Scrape down the bowl then blend for a further 2-3 minutes / speed 4 until smooth.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of paprika or sumac.