This homemade Pesto Thermomix recipe is so quick and easy to make and results in delicious creamy pesto, full of fresh flavors.
Nothing beats making your own pesto at home. The freshness of the flavor beats any store-bought pesto hands down.
And it takes just a few minutes to make in the Thermomix.
The other thing I love about pesto is how versatile it is. Whether you just stir it through pasta or use it for something more elaborate, you are sure to love this Thermomix pesto recipe.
Ingredients for Basil Pesto
These are the essential ingredients for a traditional pesto:
- pine nuts
- olive oil
Try to use the best quality, freshest basil you can - it is the overwhelming flavor of the pesto and so you want it to be a good flavor!
Make sure the garlic is fresh too. And the parmesan should be freshly cut from a block.
Olive oil - try to use the best extra virgin olive oil you have in your store cupboard.
This recipe for pesto is for a classic pesto, but you can easily play around with the ingredients to make your own pesto variation. It can be a way to help keep your costs down too.
Here are some ideas on how you can make a homemade pesto unique.
- Switch the pine nuts for cashews, walnuts, pistachios, macadamias, almonds, sunflower seeds, pepitas...
- Switch the basil for spinach, kale, parsley, mint, cilantro, broccoli, watercress, peas....
- Switch the parmesan for another strong, hard cheese such as gouda, cheddar, pecorino romano, manchego...
- Add your own ingredients - sundried tomatoes, lemon zest, flavored oil, roasted red pepper, beetroot, jalapenos...
How to make Thermomix Pesto
Making pesto in the Thermomix is super easy.
First things first, I really recommend you toast the pine nuts first. You don't have to, and many pesto recipes don't add this step.
BUT I think it deepens the flavor and benefits your pesto... and it only takes 5 minutes, so why wouldn't you?
So pre-heat your oven to 180C / 360F, lay your pine nuts out on a baking tray and pop them in the oven for 4-5 minutes. Give them a shake half way through and watch them carefully as they can burn easily. Then set them aside to cool.
Then to make the pesto: grate the parmesan in the Thermomix (10 seconds, speed 9), add the basil, garlic, salt and toasted pine nuts and mix them well (15 seconds, speed 7), then add the olive oil and mix again (10 seconds, speed 4)... and you're done!
How long does homemade pesto last?
The pesto will last up to three days in the fridge - just make sure you store your pesto in an airtight jar.
Basil leaves turn black when they have contact with the air and so you need to ensure your jar is airtight. You can also pour an extra layer of olive oil on top to help seal it in.
You can also freeze pesto - again make sure your container is airtight and seal it with a layer of olive oil. It should last in the freezer for up to 3 months.
What to do with Pesto
There are loads of ways to use pesto - it is super versatile. Here are some ideas on how to use pesto to get you started. Have fun experimenting!
- Make pesto pasta - just stir through your favorite pasta
- Make a creamy pesto pasta sauce - combine 2 tablespoons of pesto with a tablespoon of parmesan and ¼ cup cream in a pan. Then add your favorite ingredients - chicken, roasted or sundried tomatoes, bacon, asparagus... whatever you like!
- Make pesto chicken - smear it on chicken breasts and roast in the oven with some cherry tomatoes and serve with salad and baby potatoes.
- Make pesto bruschetta - smear it on the toast before adding your favorite bruschetta topping.
- Make pesto salad dressing - add some additional extra virgin olive oil, some apple cider or white wine vinegar until you have the right consistency and give it a good shake.
- Add it to grilled cheese or your favorite sandwich
- Use it as a pizza sauce
- Use as a dip with corn chips
- Make a pesto chicken sandwich - mix with mayonnaise and cold roast chicken for a delicious sandwich filling.
TRY THESE OTHER SIMPLE THERMOMIX BASICS:
Did you try this recipe? Please leave me a ⭐ review below!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @mamalovestocookblog and follow along on Pinterest and Facebook! Enjoy!!!
Pin it for Later!
Mama Loves to Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
- 40 g pine nuts
- 60 g parmesan cheese
- 80 g fresh basil leaves
- 1 small clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 80 g extra virgin olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C / 360F.
- Spread the pine nuts out on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 4-5 minutes, giving them a shake around after 2 minutes. Watch them carefully as they can burn easily. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Cut parmesan into cubes and place in the Thermomix bowl. Grate for 10 seconds / speed 9.
- Add the basil, garlic, toasted pine nuts and salt to the bowl. Mix for 15 seconds / speed 7. Scrape down the bowl.
- Add the olive oil to the bowl and mix for 10 seconds / speed 4.
- Transfer to a clean jar with a secure lid. Seal and store in the fridge until needed.