These fun Wookie Cookies are perfect for a Star Wars themed party or for the Star Wars fan in your house.
We recently held a Star Wars themed birthday party for my Star Wars obsessed 8-year old son. These Star Wars cookies took pride of place on the food table, alongside the Stormtrooper Marshmallows and other fun Star Wars themed food.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a booking or purchase using one of these links, we may receive a small commission – at absolutely no extra cost to you.
Mama Loves to Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
You will need
You will need the following items to make these Chewbacca Cookies
- Gingerbread man cookie cutter (try to get one that is tall and thin rather than fat and round!)
- Milk chocolate melts
- White chocolate melts
- Piping bags
- Piping tips (I use Wilton no. 4 round tip)
- Black edible pen
How to make Wookie Cookies
To make wookie cookies, start with your gingerbread dough and roll it out to around ¼ inch thick.
Use a gingerbread man cookie cutter to cut out your wookies and place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper, allowing around an inch of space between them.
Before you put them in the oven, take a fork and gently press into the gingerbread to create a fur-like surface to the cookie.
Next, bake them in the oven for around 8-10 minutes. Once cooked, transfer to a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely before decorating.
Decorating Wookie Cookies
To decorate the wookie cookies, you just need to make a Chewbacca bullet belt and draw on a face.
To make the belt, you will need both milk chocolate and white chocolate melts. To melt the chocolate, place it in a microwave-safe bowl and melt it at 50% power in 30 second intervals, giving it a good stir each time.
Once it is melted, transfer the chocolate to a piping bag with a piping tip (I use the Wilton number 4 round tip) so that you have a piping bag full of melted milk chocolate and another one full of melted white chocolate.
Now you can pipe on the belt. Start on the right hand shoulder and pipe the milk chocolate down to the left hand hip in a curved line. If you are using a thin piping tip you may need to do two lines and then fill in the middle.
Then use the white chocolate to pipe on dots or lines.
I tried a few ways of making the faces, including using the melted chocolate to pipe them on. I really don't find piping melted chocolate that easy for details and the faces ended up pretty messy.
So instead I opted for using an edible pen. This was much easier to do and quick too. You could also try with writing icing, but I think the edible pen is the quickest and easiest.
Pin it for Later!
- Gingerbread Cookie Dough
- Milk Chocolate Melts
- White Chocolate Melts
- Edible Pen
- Pre-heat oven to 180C / 350F and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Generously flour your work surface and rolling pin and roll out each disc to around ¼ inch thick.
- Use gingerbread man cookie cutter to cut out your wookies and transfer to the baking tray, spacing them around an inch apart.
- Use a fork to gently press into the gingerbread to create a fur-like surface to the cookie.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Melt the milk chocolate melts according to packet instructions (usually this will be in the microwave at 50% power in 30 second bursts until melted. Stir thoroughly each time). Transfer to a piping bag with a piping tip (I use the Wilton number 4 piping tip).
- Repeat with the white chocolate.
- Use the melted milk chocolate to pipe on the Chewbacca bullet belt. Start on the right hand shoulder and pipe the milk chocolate down to the left hand hip in a curved line. If you are using a thin piping tip you may need to do two lines and then fill in the middle. Then use the white chocolate to pipe on dots or lines.
- Use the edible pen to draw on the face. (you can also use the melted chocolate for this if you don't have an edible pen but it is much easier with a pen).