These Chicken Fajita Bowls (or Chicken Burrito Bowls) are full of sweet roasted fresh vegetables and fantastic Mexican flavors.
This is one of my favorite midweek meals when I need something filling but that is full of fresh vegetables and delicious flavors.
The beauty of making your own fajita bowls is you can make them exactly how you like them, using all your favorite toppings and base.
This is a very versatile recipe and is easy to adapt to use different meats or vegetables or types of rice or salad. Anything goes!
Like the look of this recipe? You will also love our Beef Burrito Bowls.
Mexican chicken fajita bowl ingredients
These Chicken rice bowls use the following ingredients. We have included suggested substitutions in case you don't have these ingredients readily available.
- Chicken breast - You can substitute with pork fillet.
- Mexican seasoning - we think our own homemade Mexican seasoning makes the best chicken fajita seasoning. Make up a jar for your store cupboard, then it is always on hand for your Mexican cooking. Alternatively, you can use a store-bought fajita seasoning mix.
- Vegetables - this fajita bowl recipe calls for sweet potato, butternut pumpkin, red onion, and red bell pepper. These all give gorgeous intense sweet flavors when roasted, that I think balance out the Mexican spices perfectly. You could substitute with any other vegetables you have.
- Sweetcorn - I think fresh corn cut from the cob gives the best flavor when charred. However, you could substitute with canned sweetcorn.
- Rice - you can use white or brown, or any other rice substitute. For a lighter version, you could also substitute with salad.
Chicken fajita bowl toppings
These are some of our favorite toppings for our chicken and rice bowls:
- Charred corn
- Diced avocado
- Pico de gallo - see our recipe here.
- Sour cream
- Chopped cilantro leaves
Other popular toppings include:
- Jalapeno peppers
- Shredded cheese
- Refried beans
- Black beans
- Tortilla Chips
How to make Chicken Fajita Rice Bowls
There are a few steps to making these Mexican chicken rice bowls: Cooking the rice, cooking the vegetables, cooking the corn, cooking the chicken... and then bringing it all together in a bowl.
Despite there being a few steps, they are all quick and easy and so this is not a difficult or time consuming recipe at all. We have it for a mid-week dinner often.
First things first: Slice the chicken, put it in a bowl with the Mexican seasoning and set aside.
Next, prepare the vegetables. Chop the sweet potato and butternut squash into cubes, and slice the onion and red pepper. Toss them in olive oil, sprinkle with a little Mexican seasoning and roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
Then put your rice on to cook.
And next char the corn. To do this, use a sharp knife to cut it from the cob, heat a skillet and then dry fry it for just around 5 minutes until it is lightly charred on the outside and soft.
Now it's time to cook the chicken - again this takes just around 5 minutes. Heat some olive oil in the frying pan and cook until lightly browned.
By now everything should be ready. You just need to assemble the bowls: First add rice in the bottom of the bowl and add your toppings: chicken, corn, vegetables, plus all your favorite burrito bowl toppings.
Pin it for Later!
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using one of these links, we may receive a small commission – at absolutely no extra cost to you.
Mama Loves to Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp Mexican Seasoning
- 1 sweet potato
- 1/2 butternut squash
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 corn cobs
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- 1 avocado, diced
- pico de gallo
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro leaves
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F / 200 C.
- Cut the chicken into finger-sized strips. Place in a bowl, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the Mexican seasoning and mix well. Set aside.
- Now prepare the vegetables: Peel and chop the sweet potato and butternut squash into 1 cm cubes. Slice the red onion into thin slices and slice the red pepper into strips. Peel the garlic and squash gently with a knife.
- Put your rice on to cook.
- Add all the vegetables to a roasting tin, toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of Mexican seasoning and mix well.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes until softened, stirring after 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, char the sweetcorn. Use a sharp knife to cut the kernels from the cob and then dry fry them in a hot skillet for around 5 minutes until lightly charred, then set aside.
- When the vegetables and rice are nearly ready, cook the chicken. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the skillet, and add the chicken. Cook until lightly browned and cooked through - around 5 minutes. You may need to do this in two batches, depending on the size of your skillet.
- To serve: Add rice to the base of your bowls. Top with the chicken, roasted vegetables, charred corn, diced avocado, pico de gallo, a spoonful of sour cream and sprinkle with fresh cilantro leaves.
This recipe uses our homemade Mexican seasoning for the best flavor. You can substiute with any shop bought Mexican seasoning.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 512Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 121mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 8gSugar: 8gProtein: 25g