This beef burrito bowl recipe is full of vegetables and fresh ingredients, making for a refreshing and flavorful meal.
Having a Mexican burrito bowl is one of my favorite midweek meals. It is delicious and filling, yet filled with amazing fresh vegetables so it ends up a pretty healthy dish.
The magic of making your own burrito bowl is you can make exactly how you like it, with all your favorite toppings and base.
This is a very versatile recipe and is easy to adapt to use different meats or vegetables or types or rice or salad too.
What is a burrito bowl?
A burrito bowl is basically a burrito in a bowl - so instead of wrapping the ingredients in a tortilla, you put all your favorite burrito fillings in a bowl with rice.
This can be white rice, brown rice, or even cauliflower rice, lettuce or other salad if you are trying to cut down on carbs.
Love the look of this recipe? You will also love our Chicken Fajita Bowls.
Burrito bowl ingredients
This burrito in a bowl recipe uses the following ingredients. We have included suggested substitutions in case you don't have these ingredients readily available.
- Corn cobs - I prefer to use fresh corn cobs and cut off the kernels with a sharp knife. You can substitute with canned sweetcorn if necessary.
- Vegetables - onion, carrot, zucchini, red bell pepper, garlic. You can add or substitute other vegetables depending on what you have in your fridge. Just be sure to chop them fine or grate them.
- Ground beef - this is a recipe for a beef rice bowl but you could substitute for ground pork, chicken or turkey or even use up leftover roast chicken or other meat.
- Mexican seasoning - make up a batch of our homemade Mexican Seasoning to keep in your store cupboard, or buy one like this one.
- Passata - you can substitute with canned diced tomatoes.
- Black beans - you can substitute with kidney beans or pinto beans.
- Chicken stock - I like to use our homemade chicken bone broth as it is full of flavor and nutrients. You can use any stock you have - be it store bought, vegetable stock or a stock cube.
Homemade burrito bowl toppings
This ground beef burrito bowl recipe uses the following toppings:
- Charred corn
- Diced avocado
- Pico de gallo - you can find our pico de gallo recipe here.
- Sour cream
- Chopped cilantro leaves
Other burrito bowl topping ideas:
- Shredded cheese
- Roasted bell pepper strips
- Tortilla chips
- Refried beans
- Jalapeno peppers
How to make a burrito bowl
The first step to making this beef and black bean burrito bowl is to prepare the corn.
Take a sharp knife and cut the kernels from the corn cob, then toss the kernels into a large non-stick skillet and cook over a medium-high heat for around 5 minutes until they are lightly charred. Then set them aside for later.
Now it is time to make the beef chili. Start by cooking the onions in olive oil until soft. Then toss in the garlic and the prepared vegetables and cook until soft.
Then add the beef to brown it. And add in the seasoning.
Next pour in the passata, stock and beans and let it all bubble away for at least 30 minutes to allow the beef to cook well and the flavors to infuse.
While this is bubbling away you can cook your rice.
Once the rice is cooked and the chili is nice and thick you can assemble your burrito rice bowl.
Put the rice in the bottom of the bowl, top with chili, corn and all your favorite toppings. And enjoy!
Pin it for Later!
Mama Loves to Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using one of these links, we may receive a small commission – at absolutely no extra cost to you.
- 2 corn cobs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1/2 red pepper, finely diced
- 1lb / 500g ground beef
- 2 tbsp Mexican seasoning
- 24 oz / 700g jar passata
- 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- 1 avocado, diced
- pico de gallo
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro leaves
- Use a sharp knife to cut the corn kernels from the cob. Heat a large skillet and fry the corn until lightly charred, around 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in the skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the onions and fry until soft, around 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue to cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the carrot, zucchini and red pepper and continue to cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Add the beef to the skillet and cook, stirring often, until browned.
- Add the seasoning and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Add the passata, chicken stock and black beans. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat slightly and allow it to bubble away for around 30 minutes until you have a nice thick sauce.
- While the beef is cooking, cook your rice.
- To Serve: Line your bowl with rice and top with the beef mixture, corn, diced avocado, pico de gallo and a spoonful of sour cream. Sprinkle over chopped cilantro leaves before serving.
Make up a jar of our Mexican Seasoning for your store cupboard to use in this recipe.
See above article for substitution recommendations.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 777Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 117mgSodium: 2880mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 13gSugar: 8gProtein: 50g