These Christmas Marshmallows are super cute. The kids will love both the Reindeer marshmallows smothered in melted chocolate and snowmen marshmallows with fun little faces.
Christmas is just the best time of year for getting creative in the kitchen and these Christmas marshmallow pops are always a hit.
Melted chocolate and marshmallows are just a combination that's meant to be, and so I can't resist making up these adorable little Rudolph marshmallows... and just look at those cute little snowmen! What's not to love?!
They're pretty easy to make and are great for Christmas party food, holiday gifts or sneaking into lunch boxes for a fun surprise.
What you need for these marshmallow Christmas treats
You will need the following ingredients and tools to make these Christmas marshmallow pops:
- Marshmallows - I use jumbo marshmallows like you would use for roasting on the campfire, as this gives you more room to work with and makes it easier for decorating.
- Lollipop sticks - go for long ones. These 6 inch ones would be perfect.
- Candy melts - milk chocolate melts are the perfect color for the reindeers
- Red chocolate candies - Smarties, M&Ms or other red colored chocolate candies for the Rudolph noses.
- Edible Candy eyes
- Pretzels - for the reindeer antlers. You will need to break them to create the antler shape.
- Edible pens - I used black and yellow for the snowman details (I used yellow for the carrot because I didn't have orange, but if you can find an orange pen that would be even better).
How to make Christmas Decorated Marshmallows
We have two different ideas for marshmallows here - snowmen and reindeer. For the snowmen, you just need to draw on the marshmallows. The reindeer require dipping in chocolate first.
The first thing you need to do to make chocolate covered Christmas marshmallow treats is to melt the chocolate melts.
Follow the packet instructions, but usually this involves heating in the microwave at 50% for 30-second intervals. Stir after each 30 seconds until you have a good smooth consistency.
Next take your marshmallow, push it down onto the lollipop stick and then dip it in the melted chocolate.
To make sure you get a smooth surface, use a small spatula and rotate the marshmallow as you smooth it.
Then take edible candy eyes and red smarties and push them in place for the eyes and nose. And then add broken pretzel pieces as antlers.
Tip: It is easier to either lay it down or hold it horizontal until the chocolate cools and dries a little, otherwise the eyes and nose can start to slip!
To make the snowman marshmallow pops I find it easiest to draw directly onto the marshmallows.
You could also use white chocolate melts but it isn't as easy to draw on using edible pens. And I think they look more effective just using the plain marshamllows.
Use two marshmallows - one for the face and one for the body and use edible pens to draw on the details.
If you are using the candy melts, wait for the chocolate to set and cool before drawing on the faces. You could also use writing icing gel to pipe on the details - this may work better than an edible pen.
Tips for making chocolate dipped marshmallows
- Work on one marshmallow at a time and work quite quickly as the chocolate dries fairly quickly. It is much easier to stick on the decorations while it is still melted and warm.
- Use a spatula to get the surface smooth.
- Make sure you have somewhere to stand them up while they dry. I used a piece of polystyrene to stand the lollipop sticks up in but you could also use cups. If you are just planning on displaying them lying down then you can also lay them down to set.
Pin it for Later!
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a booking or purchase using one of these links, we may receive a small commission – at absolutely no extra cost to you.
Mama Loves to Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
- 12 jumbo marshmallows
- 1 bag milk chocolate melts
- Edible eyes
- Red chocolate candies (M&Ms or similar)
- 12 pretzels
- Edible pens
To make the Reindeer Marshmallows
- Melt the milk chocolate melts in the microwave according to packet instructions - usually at 50% for 30-second intervals, stirring each time until melted and smooth.
- Place the marshmallows onto lollipop sticks
- Dip the marshmallows into the melted chocolate and use a spatula to create a smooth surface.
- Add the eyes, noses and and antlers while the chocolate is still warm and melted.
To make the Snowmen Marshmallows
- Place two marshmallows onto each lollipop stick.
- Use an edible pen to draw the face onto the top marshmallow and buttons and arms onto the bottom marshmallow.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 155Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 361mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 3g