These Halloween Marshmallows are super cute. Smothered in melted chocolate with fun faces, your kids are going to love them.
Halloween is my kids favourite holiday of the year. I think they look forward to it more than Christmas even. They love dressing up in costume - and of course all that candy they get to eat!
So every year there's a challenge to come up with some fun ideas for Halloween treats to help keep the magic alive for them. These Halloween marshmallow pops are definitely a hit.
They're pretty easy to make and are great for Halloween parties, trick or treat gifts or sneaking into lunch boxes for a fun surprise.
What you need for these marshmallow Halloween treats
You will need the following ingredients and tools to make these marshmallow pops:
- Marshmallows - I use jumbo marshmallows like you would use for roasting on the campfire, as this gives you more room to work with and makes it easier for decorating.
- Lollipop sticks - go for long ones. These 6 inch ones would be perfect.
- Candy melts - green melts for the Frankenstein, orange melts for the pumpkins and white melts for the ghosts (optional - you can draw directly onto the marshmallow instead)
- Black jimmies (sprinkles) for the Frankenstein hair.
- Green gummy candy - these are for the pumpkin stalks. I used spearmint leaves candy similar to these and cut them up.
- Edible Candy eyes
- Edible pens - I used black and red (the red was used for drawing veins on the googly eyes and I also added a tongue to some of the Frankenstein pops). If you are good with icing, you could also use black icing to make the faces.
How to make Halloween Chocolate Covered Marshmallows
The first thing you need to do to make these easy Halloween marshmallow treats is to melt the candy melts. Follow the packet instructions, but usually this involves heating in the microwave at 50% for 30-second intervals.
Stir the melts after each 30 seconds until you have a good smooth runny consistency.
Next take your marshmallow, push it down onto the lollipop stick and then roll it in the melted chocolate.
To get the surface super smooth, use a small spatula and rotate the marshmallow as you smooth it.
Place the black jimmies in a bowl or on a plate. Use the red edible pen to add some veins to the eyes.
Use the green melts to cover your marshmallow. While it is still warm and melted, dip the top of the marshmallow into the jimmies to create hair. Add the eyes and set aside.
Once the chocolate has set and is cold, you can draw on the eyebrows, mouth and a scar. Feel free to add any other embellishments!
Jack o Lantern marshmallows
When you push the marshmallow onto the lollipop stick, make sure you leave some stick poking out at the top to add the pumpkin stalk.
Use the orange melts to cover your marshmallow and set aside.
Once the chocolate has set and is cold, you can draw on the jack o lantern face. If you want to add candy eyes, do this while the chocolate is still warm.
Add the green candy to the top of the marshmallow to form the stalk.
You can either dip these in white chocolate candy melts OR draw directly onto the marshmallow (like in the picture below).
If you are using the candy melts, wait for the chocolate to set and cool before drawing on the faces.
Tips for making dipped marshmallows
- Work on one marshmallow at a time and work quite quickly as the chocolate dries fairly quickly. It is much easier to stick on the decorations while it is still melted and warm.
- Use a spatula to get the surface smooth.
- Make sure you have somewhere to stand them up while they dry. I used a piece of polystyrene to stand the lollipop sticks up in but you could also use cups.
Pin it for Later!
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using one of these links, we may receive a small commission – at absolutely no extra cost to you.
Mama Loves to Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
- 18 jumbo marshmallows
- 1 bag milk chocolate melts
- Edible eyes
- Red chocolate candies (M&Ms or similar)
- 12 pretzels
- Edible pens
To make the Reindeer Marshmallows
- Melt the candy melts in the microwave according to packet instructions - usually at 50% for 30-second intervals until melted and smooth.
- Place marshmallows onto lollipop sticks
- Dip the marshmallows into the melted chocolate and use a spatula to create a smooth surface.
- Add the eyes, candy noses and pretzel antlers while the chocolate is still warm and melted.
To make the Snowmen Marshmallows
- Place two marshmallows on each lollipop stick.
- On the top marshmallow, draw the snowman face.
- On the bottom marshmallow, draw the buttons and arms.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 34Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 0g