This Flourless Chocolate Cake or Torta Caprese Thermomix Recipe is fudgy, rich and decadent and perfect served with some whipped cream or ice cream.
Using fresh almonds and dark chocolate this flourless dark chocolate cake really is a treat.
The history of the Torta Caprese is a little fudgy (pardon the pun) but is said to originate from the Island of Capri in Italy (hence the name) and was reportedly invented when someone forgot to add the flour to their chocolate cake.
I'm not sure why this person happened to put in ground almonds instead, but whatever the real history, it has led to this delicious classic recipe of an easy to make flourless chocolate torte that always goes down a treat.
Thermomix Flourless Chocolate Cake ingredients
This flourless chocolate cake recipe uses standard chocolate cake ingredients with one major difference - it uses almonds in place of flour.
This not only makes it great for gluten free diets but leads to a lovely fudgy centre that everyone will love. Kind of like a cross between a cake and a chocolate brownie.
- Almonds - I always use raw almonds as I love the freshness of them, but a lot of flourless chocolate cake recipes state that you should use toasted almonds or blanched almonds. You can also use shop-bought almond meal.
- Dark Chocolate - I use 70% dark chocolate like this one.
- Caster Sugar - don't have caster sugar? Use raw sugar or granulated sugar. You could also try with brown sugar, or at least half brown sugar, not that the cake needs to be any richer than it already is!
- Vanilla Extract
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Powder
How to make flourless chocolate cake in the Thermomix
The first thing to do when making this flourless almond chocolate cake is to ground the almonds. Luckily the Thermomix makes this super quick and easy and they will be ground down to almond meal in just 10 seconds.
Next up is melting the chocolate and butter. Again, the Thermomix makes this so simple. There's no constant stirring or wondering if it is going to get too hot and go all gritty. You just set and forget!
Once the chocolate is nicely melted, you stir in the eggs, the sugar and all the other ingredients and it is ready to go in the oven.
I prefer to use a spring form tin to bake this flourless chocolate almond cake. It makes it easy to get out and you can leave it on the base to cool completely.
Then pop it in the oven and it will be ready in around 45 minutes. Test it with a knife or skewer to check it comes away clean.
If you are using a spring form tin, leave it cool for around 10 minutes then remove the sides and let it cool completely on the base. If you are using a standard cake tin, just let it cool completely in the tin before tapping it out.
Dust over some cocoa powder and/or icing sugar and serve it with whipped cream or ice cream for a truly decadent dessert.
Love baking? You may also like these recipes:
- Thermomix Banana Bread
- Thermomix Banana Choc Chip Muffins
- Thermomix Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Thermomix Chocolate Cake
- Thermomix White Chocolate Mud Cake
- Thermomix Brownies
- Thermomix Lemon Bundt Cake
- Thermomix Sugar Cookies
- Thermomix Scones
- Thermomix Donuts
Pin it for Later!
Mama Loves to Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a booking or purchase using one of these links, we may receive a small commission – at absolutely no extra cost to you.
- 200g almonds
- 200g dark chocolate
- 120g butter
- 160g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 20g cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Pre-heat oven to 180C / 360F. Lightly grease and line an 9" cake tin (a spring form tin is easiest).
- Add almonds to Thermomix bowl. Mill them for 10 seconds / speed 8. Set aside.
- Break up the chocolate and add to the bowl with the chopped up butter. Melt for 4 minutes / 50 degrees / speed 2.
- Add sugar. Mix for 10 seconds / speed 4.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Mix for 5 seconds / speed 4.
- Add the cocoa powder, baking powder and ground almonds. Mix for 30 seconds / speed 4.
- Transfer cake batter to the cake tin and bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted comes away clean.
- Allow to cool in tin for 15 minutes, then remove outer sides of the pan and let it cool completely before removing the base. (If not using a spring form tin then allow to cool completely in tin).
- Dust with cocoa powder and/or icing sugar to serve. Best served with whipped cream or ice cream and strawberries or raspberries.
Almonds - you can use raw or roasted, or replace with almond meal.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 408Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 227mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 4gSugar: 27gProtein: 8g