This Thermomix Chocolate Zucchini bread is fudgy and moist and chocolatey and delicious! Nobody will know there is vegetables in it!
I was always dubious about whether zucchini could really taste good in a chocolate cake. I mean, come on, really?
But I had a couple of zucchini in my fridge that needed to be used up, so I thought I would give it a go. And oh. my. God. Life changing! I now can't stop making this chocolate chip zucchini bread.
It really is the best. So moist and delicious. And my kids love it - even now they know it has zucchini in it!
Zucchini is one of my favourite vegetables for sneaking into recipes. It doesn't have a strong flavour and adds a whole load of moisture to dishes. Plus, it's full of vitamins and minerals so you don't need to feel quite so guilty about having another slice!
Definitely give this one a go, you won't regret it.
Mama Loves to Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a booking or purchase using one of these links, we may receive a small commission – at absolutely no extra cost to you.
You will need the following ingredients for zucchini chocolate chip bread. It uses both cocoa powder for a rich chocolatey flavour and chocolate chips for those delicious little nuggets of melted chocolate.
Exact measurements can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Zucchini - aka courgettes.
- Vanilla extract
- Brown sugar - you can substitute with white sugar, but brown sugar gives an even more moist result.
- Plain flour (all-purpose) - you can substitute with self-raising flour and skip the baking powder.
- Baking powder
- Bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- Cocoa powder
- Chocolate chips - dark or milk chocolate, whichever you prefer.
How to Make Chocolate Zucchini Bread
(Full step-by-step instructions available in the recipe card at the bottom of the post)
To make the chocolate bread, start by preparing the zucchini. To do this, top and tail them (no need to peel), cut into three pieces and add to the Thermomix to chop finely.
Now remove the zucchini from the Thermomix, one handful at a time. Give it a good squeeze to remove some of the liquid and place it in the simmering basket. Set it aside to drain.
Next melt the butter, then add the eggs, vanilla and sugar to mix.
Then add the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder.
Then mix in the zucchini and finally measure in the chocolate chips and use a spatula to stir them in.
Now transfer the cake batter to a prepared loaf tin and bake in a pre-heated oven for 45-50 minutes.
It will be ready when a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Do remember though that you may hit a melted choc chip with the skewer so test in a couple of places to be sure.
Allow it to rest in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
FAQs and Top Tips
This chocolate zucchini bread will last on the counter wrapped in plastic or in an airtight container for up to 3 days. It will last longer in the fridge but it won't maintain its soft texture as well.
Yes you can freeze this. Allow it to cool completely and then wrap it in plastic wrap and then foil before freezing. It will last for up to three months in the freezer.
Love Chocolate? You will also love these Thermomix recipes:
- Thermomix Chocolate Cake
- Torta Caprese (flourlesss chocolate cake)
- Thermomix Chocolate Brownies
- Thermomix Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Thermomix Chocolate Tart
- Thermomix Peanut Butter Chocolate Brownies
- Thermomix Chocolate Mousse
- Thermomix Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Thermomix Nutella Brownies
- Thermomix Nutella Cookies
Pin it for Later!
- 2 large zucchini
- 100g butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g brown sugar
- 260g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 40g cocoa powder
- 200g chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C / 360 F. Grease and line an 11 x 6" loaf tin.
- Top and tail the zucchini. Cut into three pieces and place in the Thermomix bowl. Chop for 7 seconds / speed 4.
- Taking a handful at a time, remove the zucchini from the Thermomix bowl and squeeze out any excess liquid. Transfer to the simmering basket and set aside to drain.
- Add the butter to the Thermomix bowl. Melt for 2 minutes / 60 degrees / speed 2.
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract and sugar to the bowl. Mix for 20 seconds / speed 4.
- Add the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder to the bowl. Mix for 20 seconds / speed 4.
- Add the zucchini back in the bowl. Mix for 10 seconds / speed 5.
- Weigh in the chocolate chips. Use a spatula to stir them through the batter.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf tin. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the loaf comes away clean. (Remember that there will be melted chocolate chips in the loaf so don't mistake them for undercooked batter).
- Rest the bread in the loaf tin for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 329Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 155mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 2gSugar: 30gProtein: 5g