This super easy Thermomix Chocolate Banana bread is moist and chocolatey and filled with irresistible gooey chocolate chips.
You know what is even better than banana bread? CHOCOLATE banana bread!
I bake a lot of banana bread in my house. My kids love it and it is perfect for lunch boxes and after school snacks.
But I got a little bored of baking up the same loaf all the time and my kids asked if I could make a chocolate version - so I switched up the recipe a little. And the result is awesome!
And now my kids like this even more than they do normal banana bread. And it's just as easy to make. Which is good because they ask me to make it all the time.
It has a good chocolatey flavour but doesn't overpower the bananas too much - and those gooey little nuggets of melted chocolate chips are just irresisitable!
Mama Loves to Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a booking or purchase using one of these links, we may receive a small commission – at absolutely no extra cost to you.
If, like me, you often have bananas turning brown in your fruit bowl, then this recipe is for you. Hopefully you will have most or all of the other ingredients already in your store cupboard ready to whip up a loaf.
- Ripe bananas - The best bananas for banana bread should be nice and ripe to get the natural sweetness out of the fruit. They are best when they are starting to go brown on the outside, but not so ripe that they are mushy on the inside.
- Vanilla extract
- Butter - room temperature is best (but I often forget to take it from the fridge in time and this is fine, you might just need to beat it for an extra 10 seconds)
- Brown sugar - I like the richness of brown sugar but if you don't have any then caster sugar, white sugar or raw sugar are all fine.
- Eggs - room temperature is best.
- Plain flour
- Cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Bicarbonate of soda - aka baking soda
- Chocolate chips - I like to use a mixture of dark chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips, but whatever you have (or prefer) is fine.
How to make Chocolate Banana Bread in the Thermomix
First pre-heat your oven and prepare your loaf tin for baking. You can either grease and flour the tin and line the tin with baking paper.
Or - I find it easier to just use a large piece of baking paper that goes up the sides of the loaf tin. This way you can just lift out the loaf once it is cooked (plus, less washing up - high fives!)
Making the bread batter is super simple. First whizz up the bananas and vanilla in the Thermomix bowl and then set aside.
Next cream together the butter and sugar before returning the banana mixture together with the eggs and mixing.
Then add in all the dry ingredients - flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and mix together.
Now you need to measure in the chocolate chips - I like to keep aside a few to sprinkle on top of the loaf. Don't use the Thermomix to mix them in; instead use a spatula - the one that comes with the Thermomix is perfect.
Finally smooth the batter into your prepared loaf tin and sprinkle over the remaining chocolate chips.
Bake in the oven for around 50 minutes to an hour.
Check it after 50 minutes by piercing the middle with a skewer and seeing if it comes away clean. If it does, it is ready. If not, then give it a further 5-10 minutes.
Remember though that there will be melted chocolate chips in the loaf, so be sure you aren't mistaking melted chocolate chips for uncooked batter.
Once it is cooked, use the overhanging baking paper to lift the loaf out of the tine and transfer it to a cooling rack. Leave it on the rack to cool until you are ready to slice and serve.
FAQs and Top Tips
To keep banana bread fresh, cover with plastic wrap or store in an airtight container on your counter for up to 4 days. For best results, do not refrigerate.
Yes you can. You can freeze either a whole loaf, a leftover half loaf or slice of the bread. Wrap them in foil and then store in a Ziploc bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
I'm glad you asked 🙂 National Banana Bread day is 23rd February.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g butter
- 150g brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 200g plain (all purpose) flour
- 40g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda (baking soda)
- 170g chocolate chips
- Pre-heat your oven to 160 C / 320 F. Line a loaf tin with baking paper - use enough paper to go up the sides so you can easily lift out the loaf once baked.
- Add the bananas and vanilla extract to the Thermomix bowl. Mix for 5 seconds / speed 5. Set aside.
- Add the butter and sugar to the bowl and cream together for 30 seconds / speed 5.
- Add the banana mixture and eggs to the bowl and mix for 10 seconds / speed 4.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda to the bowl. Mix for 20 seconds / speed 5.
- Measure in 130g chocolate chips to the bowl. Use a spatula to mix them into the mixture.
- Smooth the batter into your prepared loaf tin and sprinkle over the remaining 40g chocolate chips.
- Bake in the oven for around 50-55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes away clean. (Remember that there will be melted chocolate chips in the loaf though, so don't be fooled by them!)
- Use the overhanging baking paper to lift the loaf out of the tin and place on a cooling rack to cool until ready to slice and serve.
1. The best bananas for banana bread are very ripe and starting to go brown.
2. I like to use a combination of dark chocolate and milk chocolate chips - but any will do.
3. Store covered in plastic wrap or in an airtight container for up to 4 days on your counter.
4. To freeze, you can freeze the whole loaf (or half a leftover loaf) or as slices. Wrap in foil then store in a ziploc bag for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Love Chocolate? You will also love these Thermomix recipes:
- Thermomix Chocolate Cake
- Torta Caprese (flourlesss chocolate cake)
- Thermomix Chocolate Brownies
- Thermomix Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Thermomix Chocolate Tart
- Thermomix Peanut Butter Chocolate Brownies
- Thermomix Chocolate Mousse
- Thermomix Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Thermomix Nutella Brownies
- Thermomix Nutella Cookies