This Thermomix Caramel Slice is insanely delicious with its buttery shortbread base, sticky sweet centre and smooth milk chocolate topping.
Caramel Slice is hugely popular here in Australia and you can find it on offer in nearly every coffee shop you go into. It is my kids' favourite.
However, my husband is Scottish and he insists that Caramel Slice (or Millionaire Shortbread as it is known in Scotland) has to have a proper shortbread base. He claims that too many Caramel Slices don't have a proper biscuit base and so he refuses to buy them!
So here I am to the rescue with a recipe for Caramel Slice that uses shortbread as a base to help him fall back in love with his favourite sweet treat.
I think he is right and the shortbread base definitely makes this next level delicious.
Mama Loves to Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Why you'll love this recipe
- The Thermomix makes light work of all the steps that are traditionally really fiddly and difficult.
- It has a proper buttery shortbread base.
- Everyone will think you are a baking legend when really it is super easy to make.
You will need the following ingredients for this recipe. I have broken them into the three separate parts of the slice
For the shortbread:
- Butter - ensure it is at room temperature before starting.
- Caster sugar
- Plain flour
- Rice flour - rice flour helps to make the shortbread more tender. If you don't have any, you can substitute with cornflour (aka corn starch) or just use plain flour. I have done this many times and it is still delicious.
For the Caramel
- Brown Sugar
- Sweetened Condensed Milk - make sure you don't use light/skimmed milk or sugar-free milk. You need the real deal here for the recipe to work. Also do NOT use evaporated milk. They are not the same.
For the Chocolate
- Chocolate - I like to use milk chocolate as my kids prefer and it is less overwhelming. However if you are a dark chocolate fan, feel free to use it here.
- Vegetable oil - a little oil in with the chocolate helps prevent it from cracking once it sets and you try to slice it. Any flavourless oil will do (eg. canola, sunflower).
How to make Caramel Slice
There are three distinct parts to making Caramel Slice:
- the shortbread biscuit base
- the caramel centre
- the chocolate topping
Before you get started, make sure you pre-heat your oven and line a baking tin with baking paper.
My tin is a 9-inch square and I like to line the entire tin with baking paper with a generous overlap to make it easy to lift out the caramel slice when finished.
Part 1: Make the shortbread base
You won't believe how easy it is to make this shortbread in the Thermomix! You literally just add all the ingredients, mix for 10 seconds and use the Dough function for another 20 seconds.
Then tip out the crumbs and press them into your tin. Try to make it as even as possible, but it doesn't need to look too neat and perfect as you will be covering it with caramel and chocolate anyway.
Next prick it all over with a fork (this helps it to cook evenly).
And then bake the shortbread for 30 minutes then set it aside to cool while you make the caramel topping.
Part 2: Make the caramel centre
Again, making the caramel is super easy in the Thermomix. Once again you just add all the ingredients to the Thermomix jug and leave it for 20 minutes.
Once the 20 minutes are up, you just pour the caramel out of the jug onto the biscuit base. Tilt the pan to ensure all the base is covered.
Then bake it in the oven again for 12 minutes. Some recipes for caramel slice skip this step but I think it is important to ensure that the caramel sets and doesn't end up runny.
Now you need to let it cool - do this for 20 minutes on the counter, and then pop it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Step 3: Make the chocolate topping
Traditionally melting chocolate can be a real fiddle with having to use a double boiler, control the temperature and constant stirring. Well not with the Thermomix 🙂
All you do is grate the chocolate, add the oil and leave it to melt for 3 minutes.
Now you can pour it over the caramel and tilt the tin to make sure it is evenly coated.
And now you just need to put it back in the fridge for at least an hour before you cut it and serve it.
Top Tip: Take the Caramel Slice out of the fridge 5-10 minutes before you cut it. This will help the chocolate soften slightly and make it easier to cut. You can also warm the knife under hot water before cutting (but make sure it isn't TOO hot or it will make the chocolate melt as you cut).
Love this recipe? You may also like these:
Did you try this recipe? Please leave me a ⭐ review below!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @mamalovestocookblog and follow along on Pinterest and Facebook! Enjoy!!!
Thermomix Caramel Slice
- 9 inch square cake tin
- baking paper
For the shortbread
- 175 g butter room temperature
- 75 g caster sugar
- 175 g plain flour
- 75 g rice flour
For the Caramel
- 125 g butter
- 80 g brown sugar
- 395 g tin sweetened condensed milk
For the chocolate topping
- 200 g chocolate milk or dark depending on preference
- 10 g vegetable oil any flavourless oil is fine eg. canola, sunflower
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 C / 320 F.
- Line a 9-inch square cake tin with baking paper. Allow enough baking paper to overlap to make it easy to lift the shortbread out of the tin when finished.
For the Shortbread
- Add all the shortbread ingredients to the Thermomix bowl. Mix for 10 seconds / speed 6 then use the Dough function / 20 seconds.
- Tip the shortbread crumbs into the prepared cake tin and firmly press it down. Try to ensure it is even but don't worry too much about it looking perfect as you will soon cover it with caramel and chocolate.
- Use a fork to prick holes all over the shortbread.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Allow to cool on the counter while you make the caramel.
For the Caramel
- Add all the ingredients to the Thermomix and cook for 20 minutes / 100 degrees / speed 3. Place the simmering basket on the lid in place of the measuring cup.
- Pour the caramel over the cooled shortbread base. Tilt the pan to ensure it is evenly covered.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes.
- Cool on the counter for 20 minutes and then place in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes.
For the Chocolate Topping
- Add the chocolate to the Thermomix bowl. Grate for 5 seconds / speed 8.
- Add the oil to the bowl. Melt for 3 minutes / 50 degrees / speed 2.
- Pour the chocolate over the caramel. Tilt the tin to ensure it is fully covered. Place in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour to chill before cutting and serving.