This 3-ingredient Thermomix Shortbread recipe is quick and easy and gives you a mouthful of crumbly, buttery sweetness.
This is a traditional shortbread recipe, adapted for the Thermomix. You'll be rewarded with delicious homemade shortbread, just like Grandma used to make - only with half the effort, thanks to the Thermomix.
I lived in Scotland for 13 years, my husband is Scottish and my kids have a Scottish grandma. Needless to say, I've eaten a lot of Scottish shortbread over the years!
My kids absolutely love it, and so this recipe is well-used in our house. It is very simple to make and everyone will love it.
This recipe features in my Thermomix Cakes and Cookies ebook, a collection of easy and delicious recipes.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It only uses three ingredients!
- The Thermomix makes it super simple to make.
- You'll have rich, crumbly, buttery homemade shortbread in less than an hour.
You won't believe that something with just three ingredients can taste this good!
That's right, traditional Scottish shortbread uses just three ingredients! Because there are only three ingredients, make sure you use the best quality ingredients you can. Especially the butter.
- Butter - use cold butter straight from the fridge.
- Plain Flour
That's it! Now you have no excuse not to get baking.
You can find exact quantities in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
How to Make Shortbread in the Thermomix
Step 1: Make the Shortbread mixture
Making the shortbread mixture in the Thermomix is so super quick and easy - it takes just a couple of minutes, with the Thermomix doing all the hard work.
You just add all three ingredients into the bowl and mix for 20 seconds, and then knead for a minute.
It will resemble breadcrumbs, or coarse wet sand.
Step 2: Prepare the shortbread
Line an 8-inch square baking tin with baking paper.
Once the mixture is ready, tip it out into the tin and use your hands to press it into the tin. You can use a glass as a rolling pin to smooth down the surface and press the crumbs into the tin further.
Now take a fork and prick holes into the shortbread. Don't skip this step, it helps the shortbread to cook evenly. It also gives it its characteristic appearance.
Prick the holes in even lines all the way down and across the shortbread. They will form the lines for cutting the shortbread into fingers.
Now take a knife or bread scraper (I use a bread scraper as it makes it easier to maintain straight lines) and score the shortbread into fingers.
Step 3: Bake and cut the shortbread
Pop the shortbread into the oven and bake for around 25-30 minutes. You want to remove it when it is just starting to brown.
Next, while it is still warm, take your knife or bread scraper and cut the shortbread all the way to the bottom of the tin.
Now sprinkle it with a little caster sugar and leave it in the tin to cool completely.
Store in an airtight container.
FAQs and Top Tips
Store shortbread in an airtight container, either on the counter or in the fridge.
If stored in an airtight container, homemade shortbread will last for around 10 days on the counter or up to two weeks in the fridge.
Yes, you can freeze shortbread. Store it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just bring back to room temperature before serving.
Love Cookies? Check out these other Thermomix recipes
Mama Loves to Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Did you try this recipe? Please leave me a ⭐ review below!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @mamalovestocookblog and follow along on Pinterest and Facebook! Enjoy!!!
- 1 8-inch square baking tin
- 250 g butter cold, straight from fridge
- 300 g plain flour
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar extra for sprinkling on top
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C / 320F. Line an 8-inch square baking tin with baking paper.
- Chop the butter into pieces and add to the Thermomix bowl with the flour and sugar. Mix for 20 seconds / speed 6. Then use the Dough function / 1 minute.
- Tip the mixture into your prepared baking tin. It will be quite crumbly but don't worry. Press the mixture into the tin to form a smooth surface. You can roll a small glass over the surface to smooth.
- Now take a fork and prick holes into the shortbread. Use a knife or bread scraper to score the shortbread into fingers.
- Bake in the oven for around 25-30 minutes, until the shortbread is just starting to brown at the edges.
- Remove from the oven. Use your knife or bread scraper to cut through your score lines all the way to the bottom of the tin. Do this while the shortbread is still warm.
- Sprinkle all over with the extra caster sugar and leave in the tin to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.