These Mac n Cheese Bites are super yummy and a great way to use up leftover mac and cheese. Crisp on the outside, gooey and cheesy in the middle, they make the perfect lunch, snack or appetiser.
My daughter absolutely loves these fried mac and cheese balls. We first tried them in a restaurant and she immediately insisted we work out how to make them at home.
Whenever I make mac and cheese for the kids I now make some extra so that we can make up some of these mac n cheese balls the next day.
But they are so yummy it's worth make up a batch of mac and cheese specially too. You could of course use store bought or packet mac n cheese too.
If you have a Thermomix, then I totally recommend you use this Mac and Cheese recipe.
How to Make Mac and Cheese Balls
Making macaroni cheese balls is super easy.
Firstly I would recommend making your mac and cheese ahead and keeping it in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. This is why leftovers are so good for mac & cheese balls.
To make the balls of macaroni, I use a cookie scoop, but you could also use a spoon if you don't have one. Then squeeze the mixture together a bit into a ball shape.
Next prepare two bowls: One with beaten egg and the other with breadcrumbs, parmesan and seasoning. I like to use panko breadcrumbs as they crisp up nicely, but any breadcrumbs will do.
To season, I sprinkle in a little garlic salt, pepper and Italian seasoning - but you could also add in other herbs or spices such as paprika or cayenne, depending on your taste.
Once you have your breaded mac and cheese bites, it's time to fry them. Heat some oil in a skillet and pop in the balls - don't crowd the pan, you may need to do them in batches.
Cook until they are golden brown all over, turning frequently.
These fried mac and cheese bites are best served when still warm, although my daughter happily eats them cold in her lunch box.
Love Pasta? You may also like these dishes:
- Pasta Alfredo
- Bolognese Pasta Bake
- Sausage Tomato Pasta
- Creamy Chicken Tomato Pasta
- Pasta Bolognese Sauce
- Leftover Chicken Pasta Bake
- Slow Cooked Lamb Ragu
Pin it for Later!
Mama Loves to Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using one of these links, we may receive a small commission – at absolutely no extra cost to you.
For the Mac n Cheese
- 1 tbsp / 20g butter
- 1 tbsp / 20g all purpose flour
- 1 cup / 200ml milk
- ⅔ cup / 80g grated cheese
- ½ pound / 250g macaroni
For the Mac n Cheese Balls
For the Mac n Cheese
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Stir in the flour.
- Using a whisk or wooden spoon, gradually add in the milk, stirring all the time.
- Continue stirring over a medium heat until the mixture has thickened to sauce consistency.
- Stir in the grated cheese and continue stirring until the cheese has all been incorporated and you have a thick creamy sauce.
- Meanwhile cook the macaroni according to packet instructions.
- Drain the cooked macaroni and return to saucepan.
- Stir in the cheese sauce to the macaroni. Place in a bowl in the refrigerator for a few hours, or overnight.
To make the Mac n Cheese Bites
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop out balls of the chilled mac and cheese. Use your hands to shape and squeeze them gently into balls.
- Take two bowls. In one bowl mix together the breadcrumbs, parmesan, garlic salt and Italian seasoning. Beat the eggs in the other bowl.
- Take each mac n cheese ball and dip into the egg, then roll in the breadcrumb mixture until well coated. Set aside.
- Once all your balls are ready, heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over a medium heat. Place the balls into the hot oil and cook until golden brown all over, turning frequently. Don't overcrowd the pan; you may need to do this in batches.
- Place fried mac n cheese balls on a piece of kitchen paper until ready to serve.
If you have a Thermomix, you can make the cheese sauce in the Thermomix very easily. Follow the instructions in our Mac and Cheese recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 150mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g