This creamy pasta alfredo recipe is a decadent delight. With its salty bacon and a silky rich sauce, this pasta dish makes an easy but delicious family meal.
Honestly, every time I cook this spaghetti with alfredo sauce I can't believe how good it tastes.
But I'm not going to lie - with all that bacon, butter and cream it's not really the healthiest meal on the menu!
But it tastes so good that it is definitely worth it for a treat every now and then. And the kids love it!
Ingredients for alfredo pasta
You will need the following ingredients to make the best alfredo sauce:
- Olive oil
- Bacon (chopped up into small pieces)
- Chicken Stock (I use my homemade bone broth for this as it is full of amazing nutrients, but you can use any stock you have - store bought or a stock cube is fine)
- Double cream (you could use single cream too, but if you want a really creamy alfredo pasta then a thicker cream is best)
- Parmesan (freshly grated, this melts in to give a really rich flavor to your cheesy alfredo pasta)
- Pasta (see below)
How to make a basic alfredo sauce
Making a homemade alfredo sauce is super easy. First, you need to fry up your bacon bits in a frying pan with a little olive oil until browned. Then set it aside in a bowl.
If you have a lot of fat from the bacon in the frying pan, you can tip it away, but don't clean the pan as it will give a lovely flavor to the sauce.
Next melt some butter in the frying pan and gently cook the garlic. Now tip in the stock and let it bubble away until it has reduced by half. This will help make the flavors more concentrated.
If you have bits of bacon stuck to the bottom of the pan, just scrape them up with a spatula.
Next you add the cream to the sauce and warm it through, then tip in the grated parmesan cheese and stir until you have a nice thick creamy sauce.
Lastly, return the bacon to the pan and season with salt and pepper.
Make sure you taste the sauce first before seasoning as the bacon will already make the sauce quite salty.
And now it is ready for the pasta to be tossed through it and for you to enjoy all that delicious creamy goodness.
What are the best noodles for alfredo?
Typically the sauce would be served as a fettuccine alfredo, however you can easily substitute the pasta for tagliatelle, or make a spaghetti alfredo as we have done in the example here.
You can sprinkle over a little parmesan cheese to serve, and some freshly chopped Italian parsley.
Love Pasta? You may also like these dishes:
Did you try this recipe? Please leave me a ⭐ review below!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @mamalovestocookblog and follow along on Pinterest and Facebook! Enjoy!!!
Pin it for Later!
Mama Loves to Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ⅔ cup double cream
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ pound pasta - fettuccine or spaghetti
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan and fry bacon over a high heat until browned. Set aside.
- Tip out excess fat from pan.
- Melt butter and fry garlic over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Don't let it brown.
- Add stock and stir, scraping up any bits from the bottom.
- Let the stock bubble until reduced by half.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
- Add cream to the sauce and mix through.
- Add parmesan to the sauce and continue to cook until thick and creamy.
- Return bacon to the pan, season with salt and pepper and warm through.
- Drain the pasta once cooked and toss through sauce to coat evenly.
Leave a Reply