This homemade Thermomix Nutella recipe gives you a rich creamy chocolate hazelnut spread in just minutes. Delicious!
We love, love, love this homemade Nutella in our house. It is rich and chocolatey and oh so delicious.
Now I am not going to claim that this is a healthy Nutella recipe - it is still full of sugar and chocolate. However, I like the fact that a) I know exactly what has gone into it and b) it has no palm oil in it.
I also find that this homemade chocolate spread has a richer flavour and is less sweet than shop-bought Nutella.
My kids also love it and will often be found sneaking a spoonful out of the jar when they think I'm not looking.
Mama Loves to Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Ingredients for Nutella
My homemade Nutella uses the following ingredients:
- Raw Hazelnuts - I find these are easiest to find with the skins on. If you get them without the skins then reduce roasting time to around 8 minutes, until they are golden brown. No need to rub them in the tea towel. You could also buy ready-roasted hazelnuts, but I think freshly roasted gives the best flavour and helps release the oil.
- Sugar - raw/white/caster - any sugar will do, you will be whizzing it up anyway.
- Coconut oil - shop bought Nutella famously (controversially) uses palm oil. This recipe uses coconut oil as it has similar properties - it is semi-solid at room temperature. It doesn't make the chocolate spread taste of coconut at all. However if you don't like the flavour, you could switch with a flavourless oil such as canola or grapeseed, but the chocolate spread may have a slightly thinner consistency.
- Cocoa Powder - make sure you use a good quality cocoa.
- Milk Chocolate - again this is best with good quality chocolate, however I often just grab whatever is in the fridge - I have even used leftover Christmas chocolate coins and Easter eggs.
- Vanilla Extract
How to make Nutella
To make homemade Nutella, the first thing you need to do is roast the hazelnuts. Roasting them gives a deeper flavour and also helps to release the oils that make a butter.
This takes around 10 minutes in the oven and you will notice that the skins have become a much darker brown and the kitchen will smell of roasting hazelnuts.
To remove the skins, place the hazelnuts into a clean tea towel and give them a good firm rub. The skins should just fall off. If there are a few stubborn skins, rub them with your finger to remove.
While the hazelnuts are roasting, you can whizz up your sugar and set aside and melt the chocolate and set aside. You will need to clean your TM bowl before continuing.
Now to make the hazelnut butter: to do this, add the hazelnuts to the mixing bowl and blend for 2 minutes / speed 9. Scrape down the bowl and repeat for 30 seconds / speed 9. You will need to repeat this as many times as it takes to get the hazelnut butter smooth.
Note that the consistency will not be as completely smooth as shop-bought Nutella; you should expect a certain amount of graininess due to the nuts.
Next you just add all the ingredients to the bowl and blend until smooth. And there you have it - delicious homemade chocolate hazelnut spread.
Transfer it to a clean jar and leave it to cool. It will firm up a little as it cools thanks to the chocolate and coconut oil.
How to store homemade Nutella
This will last in your store cupboard for up to two weeks. There is no need to refrigerate it.
If you do put it in the fridge, you may need to allow it to soften up after you take it out, as it will firm up due to the chocolate and coconut oil.
Love Chocolate? You will also love these Thermomix recipes:
Did you try this recipe? Please leave me a ⭐ review below!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @mamalovestocookblog and follow along on Pinterest and Facebook! Enjoy!!!
Pin it for Later!
- Mason Jar
- 225 g raw hazelnuts
- 100 g sugar
- 50 g milk chocolate
- 30 g coconut oil
- 30 g cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C / 350 F.
- Place the hazelnuts on a baking tray and bake in the oven for around 10 minutes (give them a shake half way through), until the skins darken.
- Transfer the hazelnuts to a clean tea towel or some kitchen paper and rub them all over to remove the skins.
- While the hazelnuts are roasting, place the sugar in the Thermomix bowl and mill for 10 seconds / speed 9. Set aside.
- Add chocolate to the bowl. Grate for 4 seconds / speed 9 and then melt for 3 minutes / 50 degrees / speed 2. Set aside and clean the bowl.
- Once the hazelnuts are ready, place them in the Thermomix bowl and blend for 1 minute / speed 9. Scrape and repeat for 30 seconds / speed 9. Repeat for 3-4 times until you are happy with the smooth consistency (note that it will always maintain a certain amount of graininess, it will not be super smooth).
- Add the sugar, cocoa powder, coconut oil, melted chocolate and vanilla extract. Blend for 30 seconds / speed 4.
- Scrape down the sides and blend again for 1 minute / speed 6.
- Transfer to a clean jar and leave to cool. It will firm up as it cools.