These Thermomix bread rolls make great sandwich rolls and burger buns and are great for lunch boxes too.
We all know the Thermomix is amazing for making bread dough - taking away all the hard work of kneading and doing it for you.
These white bread rolls are no exception, with your bread dough ready in just minutes. Then you just have proving time plus minimal effort required to divide and shape the rolls.
I often make the dough up right after breakfast and they are ready for lunchtime.
They are light and fluffy and make fantastic sandwiches or served up alongside some tomato soup or mushroom soup. We also love them as burger buns too.
Mama Loves to Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
These soft bread rolls use the following basic ingredients. Exact quantities can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Instant yeast - this recipe uses instant yeast, which doesn't require sugar to activate it. If you are using a different type of yeast, such as fresh yeast, then read this article to learn how to substitute it. This recipe calls for two teaspoons of yeast - if you have sachets, then one 7g sachet is fine.
- Flour - bread flour is generally considered the best flour for baking bread because of its higher protein content. This helps create gluten, which creates chewiness in bread. However, I often use good quality plain flour (all purpose flour) when I make bread rolls (as that's what I always have in my pantry) and they are perfectly good too.
- Bread improver - using bread improver is optional but it will help improve the texture and flavour and give you fluffier rolls. I particularly recommend using it if you are using plain flour in place of bread flour. You can buy it in most supermarkets, but if you don't have any you can try substituting it with two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Salt - this not only gives flavour to your dough, but it also strengthens it.
- Olive Oil - helps to tenderise the dough and give it some extra stretchiness.
How to make homemade bread rolls
These easy bread rolls require the Thermomix to make the dough, a large bowl to proof the dough, and a baking sheet and oven for the second proof and baking.
Full step by step instructions are available in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Step one: Making the dough
Making dough in the Thermomix is super simple and one of my favourite things about the Thermomix - it does all the hard work of kneading for you.
To make the dough, place water and yeast in the Thermomix bowl and warm it slightly. Then just add the remaining ingredients, mix it up and then set the Knead function and let the Thermomix work its magic for five minutes.
Step two: Proofing the dough
Remove the bread dough from the Thermomix and transfer to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a damp tea towel (or cling wrap) and leave in a warm place for around 2 hours, until doubled in size.
Tip: the time it takes to double in size will depend on how warm your house is.
Step three: Shaping the bread rolls
Once the dough is risen, tip it out onto a floured surface and knock the air out of it.
Now you are going to shape the rolls. Start by dividing the dough into 9 equal portions. I find the easiest way to do this is to divide it into 3 equal portions and each of these into 3 portions again.
Next you need to shape the rolls. Take each dough portion and form it into a rough ball shape.
Now flour your hands and use the the inside edges of your hands to tuck the edges of the dough under itself on all sides to form a dough, rotating as you go.
You should have a nice round shape with the folds underneath.
Step four: Second proof
Arrange your bread rolls onto a lined baking sheet in three rows of three, slightly apart.
Now comes the second proof. I find the best way to do this is to place them in a cold oven with a bowl of boiling water in the bottom.
This creates a warm moist environment perfect for proofing and means you don't need to worry about covering the rolls and getting a towel/cling film stuck to the sticky dough.
After around 20 minutes they should have risen to size.
Step five: Baking the bread
Remove the bread rolls from the oven and cover with a clean tea towel while you pre-heat your oven.
Then bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Love bread baking? You may also like these recipes:
Did you try this recipe? Please leave me a ⭐ review below!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @mamalovestocookblog and follow along on Pinterest and Facebook! Enjoy!!!
Pin it for Later!
Thermomix Bread Rolls
- 360 g water
- 2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 600 g plain flour
- 2 teaspoon bread improver
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 15 g olive oil
- Place the yeast and water in the Thermomix bowl. Warm through for 1 minute / 37 degrees / speed 1.
- Add the flour, salt, bread improver and olive oil to the bowl. Mix for 20 seconds / speed 3. Then knead for 5 minutes / DOUGH function.
- Transfer the dough to a large, lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp tea towel (or cling film). Leave in a warm place to proof for around 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knock out the air. Divide the dough into three equal portions, then divide each portion into three equal portions again, so that you have nine portions.
- Form each portion into a rough ball then flour your hands and use the inside edges of your hands to tuck the dough under itself, rotating as you go. This will help create smooth, even bread rolls with the folds underneath.
- Arrange the rolls on a baking tray lined with baking paper, in three rows of three.
- Now for the second proof: place the tray on a high rack in a cold oven with a bowl of boiling water in the bottom of the oven and shut the oven door. This will create an ideal warm moist environment for proofing the rolls.
- Leave until risen to desired size - around 20 minutes.
- Now remove the rolls from the oven and cover with a clean towel while you pre-heat the oven to 180 C / 360 F.
- Bake the rolls in the hot oven for 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Made these rolls today.. delicious..I made them into hotdog rolls.. turned out lovely will be making these again
Belinda L says
I've been making bread rolls for years but my kids have still preferred "commercially made" until I found your recipe.
Seriously the best ever. Will now be my weekly go to!