This Thermomix Zucchini Slice recipe is a classic Australian family favourite, perfect for a simple lunch or for picnics and lunch boxes.
I'd never heard of Zucchini Slice until I moved to Australia. This classic Aussie dish is loaded with bacon, cheese, eggs and (of course) zucchini.
It's super simple to make and is incredibly versatile. You can enjoy it hot or cold. It's great for lunch boxes and picnics, or you can serve it up for lunch with a side salad.
You can add in extra veggies, switch out the bacon for something else (like chorizo), top it with slices of tomato or change the cheese to something stronger or more tangy.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's a great way to get kids eating more veggies.
- You can adapt to suit - add in some carrots, tomatoes or corn. Or switch out the bacon for ham or chorizo (or leave it out for a vegetarian version).
- It's perfect for lunch boxes and picnics.
- It is delicious served hot or cold.
- It makes for an easy light lunch served with salad.
Exact quantities are listed in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Cheese - you can use whatever cheese you like here. A classic cheddar always works well. I also sometimes like to use a Swiss cheese, such as gruyere as in my Thermomix Quiche Lorraine recipe. You could also add in some extra parmesan for an extra kick of cheese flavour or try it with feta.
- Zucchini - it's hard to have a zucchini slice without zucchini. However, you could also add in other veggies, such as carrots.
- Onion - you could substitue with spring onion (green onions)
- Bacon - can be substituted for ham or chorizo. Or leave it out for a vegetarian version.
- Olive Oil - you could also substitute with vegetable oil, canola oil or any light-flavoured oil.
How to make Zucchini Slice with the Thermomix
Making Zucchini Slice is very easy, and the Thermomix makes it even easier by doing all the grating, chopping and mixing for you.
Many Zucchini Slice recipes don't cook the onion and bacon first - they just add them in raw and allow them to cook as the slice bakes.
However, I prefer to cook them first a little in the Thermomix first. I think it improves both the flavour and the texture of the slice.
Preparation: Pre-heat the oven and line your baking dish.
I use a 9-inch square baking tin for this. I like to line it with plenty of baking paper, to make it easy to lift the slice out once cooked to slice and serve.
Step 1: Grate the Cheese and set aside.
Step 2: Grate the Zucchini and set aside.
If you want to add carrots, add them in here too.
Step 3: Saute the onion and bacon
If you are using ham in place of bacon, there is no need to saute.
Step 4: Add all the ingredients and mix.
Step 5: Pour into the tin.
At this stage you can decorate with some sliced tomatoes if you wish.
Step 6: Bake.
Now you just need to pop it in the oven for 30 minutes and relax!
Step 7: Slice
Remove from the oven and leave it to rest for 5-10 minutes to allow it to firm up a little. Use the baking paper to carefully lift the slice out of the tin.
Slice into equal portions and serve.
FAQs and Top Tips
Zucchini Slice is best stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Eat within 5 days.
You can Zucchini Slice. Store it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost it in the fridge overnight before reheating (or eat it cold).
Thermomix Zucchini Slice
- 9 inch square baking tin
- baking paper
- 100 g cheese
- 375 g zucchini approx 2 zucchini (depending on size)
- 1 onion
- 200 g bacon finely chopped
- 70 g olive oil
- 5 eggs
- 150 g flour
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C / 360 F. Line a 9-inch baking tin with baking paper. Ensure you have enough overlap to be able to lift the slice out of the tin once cooked.
- Cut the cheese into pieces and add to the Thermomix bowl. Grate for 5 seconds / speed 8. Set aside.
- Top and tail the zucchini. Cut each zucchini into four pieces and add to the bowl. Grate for 5 seconds / speed 5. Set aside with the cheese.
- Peel and quarter the onion and add to the Thermomix bowl. Chop for 5 seconds / speed 5.
- Add the chopped bacon and 20g of the olive oil to the bowl. Saute for 5 minutes / 120 degrees / speed 1.
- Add the eggs, flour, grated cheese, grated zucchini and remaining 50g of olive oil to the bowl. Season with salt & pepper and mix for 10 seconds / REVERSE / speed 4.
- Pour into the prepared baking tin.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and leave in the tin to cool for 5 - 10 minutes to firm up. Then use the baking paper to lift the slice from the tin and cut into slices.