Here we compare the Thermomix TM5 vs TM6 and show you what the major differences are with the new Thermomix TM6 model, to help you decide if it is time to upgrade.
When Vorwerk launched the new Thermomix TM6, it had everybody excited - and no wonder... this is a very exciting machine! But just how much does it differ to the previous model, the TM5?
From the outside looks, there is not such a huge difference between the TM5 and the TM6 - certainly not as much as the difference between the TM31 and the TM5 anyway. But what lurks inside?
Read on to find out exactly what are the differences between the TM5 and TM6... and see whether you think it is worth upgrading to the TM6.
TM6 vs TM5 Screen Size
From first glance the most obvious TM5 vs TM6 difference is the size of the screen. At 15.2cm x 20.3 cm (vs 8.9cm vs 12.7cm) the newer model has a significantly bigger, brighter and clearer screen.
This allows for easier navigation through menus and also makes it easier to follow Cookidoo recipes.
The scales on the TM6 are accurate to 1g vs 5g on the TM5. This is great news for bakers who want to follow precise measurements.
The TM6 boasts a smartphone-like processor, making it smooth and easy to scroll through online recipes. Its 16GB RAM allows plenty of room for automatic software updates.
Cookidoo vs Cook-Key
Another major difference between Thermomix TM6 vs TM5 is the integration of WiFi and Cookidoo on the TM6. Whereas the TM5 requires the use of a Cook-Key to access Cookidoo, this functionality is built into the TM6.
When you first purchase the TM6 it comes with a 6 months complimentary Cookidoo subscription. After this it costs $50 AUD / £30 GBP per year to access the 50,000 recipes. Note that you do need to have a stable WiFi connection to make full use of this functionality.
Higher Temperatures on TM6
The TM6 allows for cooking up to 160C vs 120C on the TM5. However, this is only available due to guided cooking on certain modes - eg. the Sear and Sugar modes (for making caramel or honeycomb).
Additional Functions on TM6
There are several new functions on the TM6 Thermomix. And with the ability to update the software via WiFi, new functions can be added at anytime.
Here are a few of the new functions currently available:
- Slow Cook: while it is possible to slow cook on the TM5 using a blade cover, the new Slow Cook mode on the TM6 controls the blades turning for optimal results. (So the blades turn slowly for the first 30 minutes, and then switch to alternating 1 minute on, 1 minute off).
- Sous Vide: similarly, the new Sous Vide mode allows for sous vide cooking without the use of a blade cover.
- Fermentation: designed for making yoghurt, cheeses or proving dough, it keeps a constant temperature for up to 12 hours.
- Thicken: for thickening up sauces and custard.
- Rice Cooker: for perfectly cooking rice and other grains.
- Kettle: for quickly bringing water to the boil.
- Egg Boiler: never over cook your eggs again!
- Warm up: for reheating those leftovers.
- Sear: for searing meat at high temperatures before stewing or caramelizing onions. *This is a closed mode , meaning it is only available during guided cooking.
- Sugar stages: this mode allows you to easily make caramel or honeycomb. *This is a closed mode , meaning it is only available during guided cooking.
Pin it for Later!