This Thermomix coleslaw recipe is so quick and easy to make. No laborious grating, chopping and mixing required; the Thermomix does it all for you!
Having a good homemade coleslaw recipe up your sleeve is essential. It is such a useful salad that is always a hit at barbecues, picnics and pot lucks.
For me the best coleslaw should be rich, creamy and full of flavour and this easy coleslaw recipe gives you just that!
As this is a Thermomix recipe, the coleslaw won't be shredded, but finely chopped - kind of like a KFC coleslaw.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a booking or purchase using one of these links, we may receive a small commission – at absolutely no extra cost to you.
Mama Loves to Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Ingredients for Coleslaw
We like to use the following ingredients in coleslaw for a classic creamy coleslaw.
- Cabbage - I usually use plain white/green cabbage in coleslaw, although I also like to mix in some red cabbage for some extra colour sometimes. Be aware that the red colour can bleed after a while though.
- Mayonnaise - forms the base of a creamy coleslaw dressing. Use your favourite brand or make your own Thermomix mayonnaise, but make sure it is proper mayonnaise for the best flavour.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - adds a bit of zest to the dressing and cuts through the richness of the mayonnaise. You can substitute with white vinegar or lemon juice.
- Sugar - helps draw out the flavours. If you like to add apple in coleslaw, you can omit the sugar.
- Dijon mustard - adds great flavor to the dressing.
- Salt & Pepper - essential to bring all the flavours together.
Optional extras to add to a basic coleslaw:
- Onion - a lot of homemade coleslaw recipes include onion. I am not a big fan of raw onion and so I never add it to my coleslaw. But feel free to toss some in. I would recommend 50g onion, and adding it to the bowl with the carrot at the beginning.
- Apple - if you like an apple coleslaw, then I would recommend adding 1 apple (peeled, cored and quartered) at the same time as the cabbage.
- Parsley - or other herbs (add with the cabbage)
- Green bell pepper (add with the carrot)
- Jalapeno - to spice it up a bit (add with the cabbage)
How to make Coleslaw in the Thermomix
The beauty of making coleslaw in the Thermomix is that it does all of the hard work for you. No grating carrots, finely shredding cabbage by hand or laborious mixing of ingredients.
It literally takes seconds in the Thermomix.
- First, add a peeled and quartered carrot to the bowl and grate for 4 seconds / speed 5.
- Next add all the other ingredients - cabbage, plus everything you need for the homemade coleslaw dressing: mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper. And mix it for 4 seconds / speed 4.
- During this time, keep the measuring cup off and use your Thermomix spatula to stir the coleslaw through the lid.
- Scrape down the sides, give it a stir with the spatula and repeat for 4 seconds / speed 4, stirring through the lid.
And that's it! Beautiful and delicious homemade coleslaw in just seconds.
FAQs and Top Tips
Store coleslaw in an airtight container or in a bowl covered tightly with plastic wrap in the refrigerator.
Coleslaw mix will last in the fridge for up to 4 days. I actually think it tastes even better the next day or day after you make it. Just give it a stir before you serve it.
As it is made with mayonnaise, coleslaw does not freeze well as the mayonnaise will separate when defrosted. You could freeze the vegetables without the dressing and then add the mayonnaise once defrosted if necessary.
Like this recipe? You may also like these recipes:
- Thermomix Caeser Salad Dressing
- Thermomix Guacamole
- Thermomix Hummus
- Roasted Vegetable Couscous
- Easy Pico de Gallo
- 100 g carrot 1 large
- 400 g cabbage
- 75 g mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Peel and quarter the carrot and add to the Thermomix bowl. Chop for 4 seconds / speed 5.
- Remove any tatty outer leaves and the core from the cabbage. Cut into large pieces and add to the Thermomix bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper to the Thermomix bowl.
- With the measuring cup removed, chop/mix the ingredients for 4 seconds / speed 4. Use your Thermomix spatula to stir the coleslaw through the lid.
- Scrape down the bowl, stir and repeat for 4 seconds / speed 4, using the spatula to stir through the lid.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, cover and refrigerate until needed.