These Thermomix whole orange cupcakes with orange cream cheese frosting are light and moist and delicious - and so easy to make.
This recipe for orange cupcakes has fast become one of my absolute favorites! Adding the orange zest to the cream cheese frosting really takes these to another level!
And yes this orange cake recipe does use a whole orange - zest, pith and all. Don't worry, it doesn't turn out too bitter, and the orange juice makes for a lovely moist cupcake.
Making Thermomix Orange Cupcakes
Gosh, doesn't the Thermomix make baking so easy?! And this cupcake recipe is no exception.
The Thermomix makes such light work of mashing up the whole orange and then mixing in the ingredients together, that it literally takes just a couple of minutes to make the cake batter.
The only thing you need to remember is to zest some of the orange first to make sure you have some zest to add to the frosting. I highly recommend a fine grater for this, such as this Microplane zester/grater.
Once you've done that, you just need to quarter the orange and add it into the Thermomix with the butter and whizz it up, then add the rest of the ingredients and mix... and the batter is done!
Because making the cupcake batter is so quick, make sure you have your oven pre-heated and your muffin tin lined and ready to go before you start.
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
I love, love, love cream cheese frosting and am always looking for excuses to use it when I bake.
I was a little worried that adding orange zest to the frosting would ruin it, but boy was I wrong! It is AMAZING with the orange zest.
Honestly, it takes it to a whole new level again. I didn't think it was possible to love cream cheese frosting anymore that I already did - but here it is.
And it is SO simple to make in the Thermomix - you literally just throw in all the ingredients into the Thermie and whizz it up for 30 seconds. It's almost cheating!
If you are new to icing cupcakes, I have some advice. Use a LARGE icing tip!
Seriously, I won't ice cupcakes with any other tip. They make your job SO much easier and with a bit of practice, you'll be icing cupcakes like a pro.
Even my 9-year old daughter has mastered icing cupcakes using the 1M tip.
Love making Thermomix cupcakes? You may also like these recipes:
- Thermomix Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Thermomix Whole Orange Cupcakes
- Thermomix Vanilla Cupcakes
- Thermomix Easy Chocolate Cupcakes
- Thermomix Carrot Cupcakes
- Thermomix Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
- Thermomix Buttercream Icing
Pin it for Later!
Mama Loves to Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using one of these links, we may receive a small commission – at absolutely no extra cost to you.
- 1 orange
- 225g butter
- 150g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 300g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
For the Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 300g icing sugar
- 100g butter
- 250g cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange zest
For the Cupcakes
- Pre-heat oven to 180C / 360F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Use a fine grater to collect one teaspoon of orange zest from the orange and set aside for the frosting.
- Top and tail the orange and discard the ends. Cut the orange into quarters and add to the Thermomix bowl.
- Add butter to the bowl and mix for 7 seconds / speed 8.
- Add sugar, eggs, all purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda. Mix 20 seconds / reverse / speed 4.
- Use a cookie scoop to divide the cake batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes in the tin then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before icing.
For the Frosting
- Add all the ingredients to the Thermomix bowl. Mix for 30 seconds / speed 5.
- Use a piping bag to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 423Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 356mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 1gSugar: 31gProtein: 5g