These thermomix banana and honey muffins are perfect for kids lunchboxes, sneaking in some extra goodness, with no refined sugar.
This banana honey muffin recipe is one of my go-to recipes for kids lunchboxes, and I’m usually baking up a fresh batch every few weeks.
I have always made a banana muffins for kids lunchboxes. But one day I worked out just how much sugar there was in the banana cake recipe I was using.
My kids eat these several times a week, and it’s supposed to be a healthy lunchbox snack! So I knew I needed to find an alternative to all that sugar.
I have played around with this a lot and the result is this refined sugar free banana muffins thermomix recipe, using honey as the main sweetener.
I’m really happy with the final recipe and my kids absolutely love these too.
You may also like our super yummy Thermomix Banana Bread Recipe.
You want to make sure the bananas are really ripe for this recipe, as this helps really bring out the flavor and sweetness of the fruit.
I usually wait until the bananas are starting to go brown on the outside, but not until they are totally mushy on the inside.
You may also like: Carrot & Cheese Muffins Thermomix Recipe.
I like to add in a bit of maple syrup alongside the honey in this recipe. I do this to add a little more sweetness, without the honey flavor being too overpowering.
If you love the flavor of honey, then you can easily change the quantities. How much honey/maple syrup you add kind of depends on how ripe/sweet your bananas are too, but I have found this quantity to work well.
Freezing Banana Muffins
This recipe is great for making ahead and freezing.
I make up a batch, keep them in the freezer, then pop one in the lunchbox still frozen in the morning and they are ready to eat by lunchtime. You could also defrost them overnight in the fridge if you prefer.
Pin it for Later!
- Pre-heat oven to 160C / 320F
- Place bananas and vanilla into mixing bowl. Mix for 5 seconds / speed 4. Set aside.
- Add butter, honey and maple syrup to bowl. Mix for 20 seconds / speed 5.
- Add 1 egg + 20g flour to bowl. Mix 10 seconds / speed 5.
- Add 2nd egg + 20g flour to bowl. Mix 10 seconds / speed 5.
- Scrape down the bowl. Add bananas and mix 10 seconds / speed 4. (Don't worry if it looks a bit curdled at this stage)
- Add remaining flour (200g) and baking soda. Mix 20 seconds / speed 5.
- Use a cookie scoop to divide mixture into 15 muffin cases.
- Place in oven and cook for 20 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 349mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 3g